12 Amazing Health Benefits of Cucumber You May Not Know About
Cucumber has more healthy benefits than you may think
You may be surprised at what the cucumber can offer when it comes to your health. This superfood packs in a lot of goodness for a food that contains 95 percent water.
They have a refreshing taste and can are usually used in a salad or in a side dish. The skin is very nutritious and so it is best not to peel them before eating. If you worry about pesticides then you could always choose organic instead.
Below is the list of the numerous benefits that could be achieved by eating this mighty green skinned food.
Read on to see if you knew about all these great cucumber health benefits
Twelve Health Benefits of Cucumbers
- According to livestrong.com, cucumbers may do more for your skin than for your palate. Cucumbers are a source of several compounds that fight inflammation and skin aging. Among these compounds are cucurbitacins and cucumerin.
- Take note that cucurbitacins could be a promising target for cancer therapy! It is stated in the International Journal of Health Sciences that natural and semi-synthetic cucurbitacins show promising anticancer activities.
- In an article published in 2007 in the medical journal ‘Advances in Experimental Medicine and Biology’, it was stated that cucumerin has potent anti-inflammatory and anti-tumor properties. It is further stated that cucumerin regulates chemical messengers that cause inflammation in the body.
- Vitamin K – Which is also an antioxidant helps fight dark circles under the eyes.
- Vitamin B-5 – Helps your skin retain moisture
- Silicon and sulfur in cucumbers help to stimulate hair growth
- In a study published in the ‘Archives of Dermatological Research’, it was concluded that the presence of ascorbic acid (Vitamin C), makes cucumber juice an effective ingredient for anti-wrinkle products. As a precursor to collagen, cucumbers are a source of silica, which can help fight wrinkles.
Cucurbitacins and Cucumerin are only two major compounds found in cucumbers. It is important to mention lignans as well, especially while anti-cancer activity is in the mix.
- Lignans are are a group of chemical compounds found in several types of plants. There are three specific lignans that have been connected to the reduced risk of several types of cancers.
- Diabetic patients may benefit from drinking cucumber juice because it contains a hormone needed by the cells of the pancreas to produce insulin.
- As cucurbitacins and lignans and cucumerins have been mentioned, we must not forget the importance of flavonoids. These are all phytonutrients found in cucumbers that are being researched for their valuable antioxidant, anti-inflammatory and anti-cancer benefits.
Flavonoids are defined as a group of plant metabolites that are thought to provide health benefits through cell signalling pathways and antioxidant effects.
- Rumor has it that cucumbers could be good for your hangover… It is stated that cucumbers contain enough sugar, B vitamins and electrolytes to replenish many essential nutrients. This is said to reduce the intensity of both the hangover and the headache.
- Consider what they must do for our system in the cleansing process. They can keep your body hydrated while at the same time eliminating toxins. It is stated that cucumbers have most of the vitamins the body needs in a single day.
- Think of this too – cucumbers are, again, high in water content, but low in calories. This makes it an ideal snack for those that are looking to lose weight. It should also be noted that daily consumption of cucumbers can be regarded as a remedy for chronic constipation.